NPM 2021: Week One "Make a Plan"
The theme for first week of National Preparedness Month 2021 is "Make a plan." The goal this week is to talk to your friends and family about how you will communicate before, during, and after a disaster. Don't forget to update your plan based on the Centers for Disease Control recommendations due to the Coronavirus.
Ready.gov has an entire page on their website dedicated to making a plan for your family filled with valuable content & resources. Let's go through the steps that they share for each of us Lee County, Alabama residents to consider.
Step 1: Put a plan together by discussing the questions below with your family, friends or household to start your emergency plan.
- How will I receive emergency alerts and warnings?
- What is my shelter plan?
- What is my evacuation route?
- What is my family/household communication plan?
- Do I need to update my emergency preparedness kit?
- Check with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and update my emergency plans due to Coronavirus.
- Get masks (for everyone over 2 years old), disinfectants, and check my sheltering plan.
Step 2: Consider specific needs in your household.
- As you prepare your plan tailor your plans and supplies to your specific daily living needs and responsibilities. Discuss your needs and responsibilities and how people in the network can assist each other with communication, care of children, business, pets or specific needs like operating medical equipment.
Step 3: Fill out a family emergency plan.
- Download the PDF from Ready.gov to use (or to base your own from) by clicking here.
Step 4: Practice your plan with your entire household & family.
- Practice makes perfect! Make sure each member of the household knows & understands the plan.
We hope this helped! Be sure to check out Ready.gov for additional resources for making a plan.
SERVPRO of Lee County is locally owned and operated, so we’re already close by and ready to respond immediately when you need us. We make disaster "Like it never even happened." Give us a call today at (334)-821-4858!